Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The reason


Baby Moo,

You are probably curious why mama is writing you letters.  Why she is posting them all over the internet when you cannot even read yet.  Well Mad, you told your little buddy Sig something yesterday that broke Mama’s heart.  You didn’t mean to break my heart, but it did.

You told Sig that Mama was home.  Then when he asked you if you were sure you said “No.  She’s at work.  She’s always at work. I’ll find a way get her back.”  Oh, Maddox.  At your tender age of two years and five months, you are so brilliant.  So very eloquent and well spoken.  That very sentence has opened my eyes wider than they have ever been.

You see sweet pea, the reason you said that is because your mama has been working a lot.  Every morning she gets up and starts working for her very own letterpress wedding invitation company.  This is a brand new business and needs all kinds of TLC to get off the ground.  Amongst the thousands of reasons why mama wanted to join in this venture with her friend Jodi, is so she can work from home.  With you. 

Then after I’ve devoted 30 minutes or so, I get you dressed, kiss you and off you go with Daddy to play with your friend Jenn.  Mama goes to her day job, which she doesn’t like at all.  For nine hours all mama does is think about you and ways to make her part-time job her full time job.  Then when it is time to leave I call you at home with Daddy.  You always ask me to come home right now and I always tell you I’m almost there.

When I get home, I start to work on my part-time job again.  Mama loses steam after you go to bed and wants to use all her working energy to get this business of the ground with flying colors.  I sit next to you on the couch; you always rest your head on my arm.  We watch Thomas or Dora then we have dinner.  Sometimes mama has to be on the phone, sometimes mama is writing ideas.  Always busy your mama is.

Then Daddy gives you your bath; mama works some more.  Then we read you your stories and put you to bed.  You always ask for just one more book.  Now I know why.

Today is the day this routine changes Moo.  There is nothing that cannot be done after you go to sleep.  The world will not end if I write a blog post for tomorrow at 10pm instead of 6pm.  The world will end if you think Mama works all the time and has no time for you.

The fact of the matter is I will always need a job.  Daddy and I want you to have a good life Maddox and part of that is providing.  We need money to provide and we need to work to have money.  Yet the precious moments that I could devote to you, I’ve given away.  That is unfair.

No more Maddox.  You’ll get your mama back.  I promise.

I love you, 
Mama

1 comments:

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

This broke my heart too.

When I was little, one of my parents worked hard so that they could work from home too. I didn't understand it at the time, but I appreciated it when I was older and I appreciate it evermore today. Maddox will too, I promise.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com